Robert C. Epstein, who graduated from Cornell University in 1980 with a B.S. in Industrial and Labor Relations and from Stanford University Law School in 1983, is a member of both the New York and California bars.
Bob has over 30 years of experience in all aspects of real estate transactions, including:
- Acquiring, financing, selling, developing and leasing properties in Manhattan and Brooklyn for a Luxembourg fund;
- Acquiring and selling properties and leasing for a Manhattan-based hotel owner;
- Leasing office buildings in Manhattan for a Japanese fund;
- Leasing former industrial buildings in Long Island City for a New York City fund;
- Sale of apartment buildings in Manhattan for a public pension fund manager;
- Sold 400,000 square foot landmark Bronx industrial building to an institutional purchaser;
- Purchase and sale of air rights;
- Represented tenants on numerous office, retail and mixed-use leases, including for a national coffee retailer, a public showroom company, hotels, various hedge funds and asset managers, a major non-profit, two United Nations-related agencies, a large garment center manufacturer, a leading two-year college, a Central American government agency, a wedding supply retailer, gym chains, a top restaurant and a chain of hotel bars.
Bob has been pictured and quoted in two New York Times articles on commercial leasing, has lectured at CLE courses on leasing and real estate brokerage law for the Real Estate Board of New York and NYU's School of Continuing Education, and is the author of the following articles:
- "Avoiding Lease Catastrophes from Real Ones", September 16, 2005 New York Law Journal.
- "Loan-Related Damages in Lease Remedy Provisions", September 10, 2004 New York Law Journal.
- "The Tenant Commandments", March 10, 2004 New York Real Estate Weekly.
- "Unanticipated Exposure Under Good Guy Guaranty", June 12, 1998 New York Law Journal.
- "Determining Lease Financeability," May 21, 1997 New York Real Estate Weekly.
- "Hidden Sublease Restrictions," October 9, 1996 New York Law Journal.
- "Why Hire an Exclusive Broker," September 23, 1996 New York Real Estate Weekly.
- "Commission Agreements – Impact of Interpleader," February 14, 1996 New York Law Journal.
- "Negotiating Interstate Cooperating Broker Agreements", April 19, 1995 New York Law Journal.
- "Avoiding Rent Increases from Remeasurement," November 25, 1994 New York Law Journal.
- "Determining Hidden Costs to Tenants in an Office Lease," April, 1994 Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy.
- "The Incredible Shrinking Improvement Allowance," March 15, 1994 New York Law Journal.
- "Half Full or Half Empty? Deducting Concessions in Calculating Agency Brokerage Commissions," March 15, 1993 New York Law Journal.
- "The Effect of the Americans with Disabilities Act on the Sharing under Office Leases of the Cost of Alterations Required by Law," September 9, 1992 New York Real Estate Weekly.
- "Brokering Sublease Barter Transactions," August 14, 1991 New York Real Estate Weekly.
- "Equity Leasing: A New Approach to Blue Chip Lease Deals," September, 1990 Commercial Lease Law Insider.
- "Unenforceable Lease Provisions – Negotiating and Drafting Suggestions," Fall, 1987 California Real Property Journal.